Energy & Environment (Cleantech), Finance & Commerce (FinTech), Health, and Work & Learning
Social innovation is an overarching area of focus at MaRS and has always been integral to everything they do.
During this Road Trip a small group of students will make their way to MaRS for a tour of the facilities, a briefer on its history and an introduction to a sampling of organizations that are based in this community.
Within the community are the supports that are needed for these sectors including labs, capital, consulting and legal services. Some companies are small, others are corporate enterprises. This visit will be of interest to a wide range of students.
Gina Uppal, Senior Associate, Partnerships and Stakeholder Engagement, MaRS Studio Y, will take us on a tour of complex and highlight/explain:
- The story behind MaRS
- The concept of a Discovery District and how social innovation fits in
- Tenants overview
- Resources available including Studio Y
- Community events that students can attend
Meet the organizations
As a group we will visit 4 organizations, covering:
- An introduction to our host
- The host will briefly cover the organization
- The host will also talk of their journey/career
- There may be a tour of the facility
- Students will have a chance to ask questions
Our visits include
- CCRM (https://ccrm.ca), a not-for-profit, public-private consortium supporting the development of foundational technologies that accelerate the commercialization of cell and gene therapies, and regenerative medicine technologies.
- CIFAR (https://www.cifar.ca/) has been successfully taking on difficult challenges for more than three decades. Our global research programs connect many of the world’s best minds – across borders and between disciplines – to shape new perspectives and spark groundbreaking ideas.
- MaRS Social Venture Connexion (SVX), MaRS Centre for Impact Investing (http://impactinvesting.marsdd.com; www.svx.ca) is an impact investing platform for ventures, funds and investors seeking social and/or environmental impact alongside the potential for financial return. We provide a single access point for raising capital and making investments.
- Grand Challenges Canada (http://www.grandchallenges.ca) is dedicated to supporting Bold Ideas with Big Impact®. Funded by the Government of Canada and other partners, Grand Challenges Canada funds innovators in low- and middle-income countries and Canada. The bold ideas Grand Challenges Canada supports integrate science and technology, social and business innovation – known as Integrated Innovation®.
Date: Friday April 6, 2018
Time: Morning (half day session), beginning at 9:30 AM sharp
Location: MaRS Discovery District, 101 College St, Meeting spot - main entrance lobby